Monday, February 2, 2015

Our Morning Verse

Inspired by the Waldorf model, I  created a morning verse for my students to recite at the beginning of each class. Since implementing the verse in grades 2-5, I have found the students to be more focused and ready to learn.

Building routines and setting high expectations for student learning and participation have been essential ingredients in creating a safe and nurturing classroom environment where all students feel comfortable speaking in English. The repetition of routines like our morning verse, days of the week, weather girl/boy, and word of the day, have brought forth tremendous progress in the never-ending process of learning English.

The following video shows my forth grade students reciting the morning verse. When I first arrived at my school, I was told they would never be able to speak English because they were so shy. While it took a few months to get the students speaking, once the barrier was broken, through the help of routines and repetition, each student has become an active participant in the classroom, eager to speak in English with enthusiasm.


I learn with courage 
I teach with love 
I grow with knowledge 
I know with truth

No comments:

Post a Comment