Saturday, November 8, 2014

Nature Walk Picnic


Why keep children in the classroom when there is a world of learning outdoors?

This week, the staff of my school decided to take our students on a nature walk picnic to a nearby jungle. Students came with drums, makeshift musical instruments, and organic vegetables to share.

One of the most successful teaching methods I have experienced is taking my young learners on weekly nature walks to local farms, forests, and hills. Children are excited to be outside, explore, and express their curiosity. Not only are nature walks enjoyable, but they are helping my students learn new English vocabulary words in natural contexts. I am amazed by how quickly students are speaking in English about what they see and experience. Only three months ago, many of them could not write their own names. From the walks, I have learned a lot from my students and co-teacher about native Nepali medicinal plants, organic farming, and the many fascinating animals that live in the jungle. Nature walks give my students the confidence to explore, share, and expand their knowledge of the local Environment while practicing English.

Our first whole school nature walk picnic was a big success. I especially enjoyed cooking locally grown organic vegetables with the students, singing traditional Nepali songs, and, of course, dancing.








No comments:

Post a Comment