Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas in Nepal

Let's face it, if you come from a small family, like me, the holiday season can feel quite isolating in the United States. After I passed the age of about ten, Christmas lost it's magic. I became desensitized by the holiday. Christmas was just another day on the calendar. 

Throughout my high school years,  I yearned to experience just one Christmas with a big family, full of warmth, vitality and tradition. Christmas with three people just felt so lonely. Yet, with the distance of going away to college, I began to see the beauty in celebrating Christmas with my parents. After some years, the holidays became a time of reflection and creativity, trying to define what coming and being "home" really means. 

And here I am celebrating Christmas in Nepal with three wonderful Fulbright ETAs and one Fulbright Clinton Scholar. I may not be in the United States, and this Christmas is a bit untraditional, but for the first time, I'm celebrating the holidays with the big family I missed having as a child. From hot showers, to delicious food, wandering up a hill following a woman collecting sticks, to watching the sun rise over the himalaya at dawn, this has been an incredible Christmas that I will never forget.

 
Lisa made a paper Christmas tree, and for our Christmas breakfast, we turned an ordinary tree into a magical one.

The Christmas tree queen and her masterpiece 

A new friend is a good present! 

YUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
We live in a beautiful world! The lake on Christmas morning. 

Although I have not seen any real shih-tzus in Nepal, this cute fuzzy friend was a gift to stare at for a few minutes. 

Bridges bring the world together. 

While wandering through the woods trying to reach the peace stupa at the top of the hill, we met a wonderful woman collecting firewood. She gave us directions that caused us to walk for about two hours on uncharted paths.
We made it through the wilderness! What a beautiful stupa. 
We are family! 

Nameste! 

A Nepali family asked to take a photo with us! We made so many new friends!


Nature knows it's Christmas! 

Chocolate with a beautiful view = HEAVEN! 
The sunrise over the mountains




Nepali milk tea, a beautiful view, and great company

Yummmmmm!!!!
This is the definition of a "good" morning.

Wee!!

Yay! 

One...two

three!

Jump!  
On top of the world, jumping for joy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment